Creamy Leek, Potato and Bacon Soup
Makes: 4 lts. (don’t be afraid, it freezes well, and you can easily half the recipe with success!)
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 30 min.
3 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled, rinsed, cubed
3 oz. butter
4 pc. bacon, sliced
2 pc. leeks, sliced, only the hearts
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 cup white wine
2 oz. AP flour
1.75 lt. chicken stock
0.5 lt. heavy cream
- Heat a medium sized sauce pot to medium-high heat and melt the butter
- Add the leeks, bacon, and minced garlic to the pot and sweat 3-5 minutes, being careful not to brown
- Add the potatoes, and sauté another 2-3 minutes
- Deglaze the pan with white wine, and reduce slightly
- Add the flour, stirring constantly until combined, then deglaze with the chicken stock
- Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until the potatoes are tender, 15-20 mins.
- Finish the soup with the cream, and puree with an immersion blender, season accordingly
* You can keep this soup gluten friendly by reducing the stock by 1 cup
and removing the flour, the starch of the potatoes should thicken it
* You can easily substitute chicken stock for vegetable stock if you’d rather
*I like to finish this soup off with some truffle oil and fried leeks